Thursday, May 24, 2012

What did I learn?



Hello, I made a few minor changes to the page.  Notice some of my favorite blogs and my friends' blogs to the right, along with the snazzy artwork at the top.  Enjoy.

I am happy that I completed the triathlon, but what did I learn?  Should I continue to work out?  Should I sign up for another race?  I can look back on this experience with some pride, the last time I participated in a triathlon was 6 years and 2 age brackets ago!  I was also participating in a beginning triathlon series, the Riverwood Golf and Athletic club triathlon.  Such a different atmosphere - I forgot that I live in the triathlon epicenter of the United States.  These people in San Diego are serious!  The clothes, the bikes, the attitudes.  Even the parents participating with their own children were totally competitive.  And, I forgot to mention that one of the women that I met the morning of the race pretty much only befriended me so that she would know that she was going to beat someone.

Anyhow, a few days have passed and I can now reflect on everything that happened with some clarity of mind and a satisfied stomach.  I have been starving the past 4 days and have eaten everything that I have come across, I finally feel like I have my normal appetite back.  It helps that I have now seen the results, look if you dare, they are not that exciting.  Scroll all the way down and then keep going!  Upon first glance, I was really happy with my swim, it was exactly the same time that I get in the pool and a lot faster than my first real ocean swim from a few weeks ago.  I was expecting to take about 40 minutes, since I completed it in less than 24 minutes, I was very pleased.  To my amazement (not really), I had the transition area to myself.  I was second to last out of the water, I spent a ton of time changing out of my wetsuit, more than 5 minutes.  The pros spent less than a minute, maybe they didn't wear a wetsuit, I can't remember all I know is that the transition time included running up the monster hill taking off my wetsuit, drinking a lot of water and putting on my socks, shoes, glasses and helmet.

My bike ride was super slow.  58 minutes on a basically flat course for 12 miles is terrible.  I didn't like the two loops, but it allows for maximum family and fan participation.  They get to see you twice.  In most races, the spectators only get to see the athletes during transition and at the finish line.  My second transition was much faster, I still had to put on my number, but I could do that and move at the same time.  My transition time was less that 2 minutes, phew...

My run was ok.  I wish it was faster, but I guess after 1 1/2 hours of activity, I guess I couldn't expect to run 8 minute miles.  Again, I didn't like the 2 loops, it made the 3 miles feel more like 10 miles, but it did allow for maximum community participation.  Running Skirts handed out electrolyte drinks, that were so good that  I slowed down for a sip both times past their store.  I'll do better next time.

Lessons learned include:
1. Meet people before the race.  I never realized how solitary this sport is until I tried it.  No one is the same pace as you  in all 3 events, so you are constantly passing people and getting passed.  It is nice to run into new friends on the course, especially if you don't have friends present for support.
2. Swim like you mean it.  Not too much talking and hugging.  Also, it helps if you get your goggles set before the race.
3. Get your numbers together before the race.  I probably should have one of those triathlon straps or I should have attached my running number to my suit before the swim.  I don't think it would have hurt to have it on under my wet suit.
4. Know where to exit for each stage.  I got lost between the bike and the run.  I could have saved a few seconds there.
5. Get a road bike.  I have a mountain bike now.  I think it will cut minutes off of my time easily.
6. Be happy and thankful that I was able to complete a goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment